Wednesday, October 16, 2019

JOKER


What I expected was simply a movie about the Joker. I figured they’d try and one up Heath Ledger’s incomparable performance in the role (by far my favorite Joker of all time), but I had no idea just how disturbing this movie would be. I mean, I absolutely loved Joaquin Phoenix as Johnny Cash in Walk the Line, so I figured he had the acting chops hands down. Although the trailers left me cold, the makeup looked a bit too Ringling Brothers or Bozo, and not insane like the smeared greasepaint of Ledger. Heck, it didn’t even resemble Joker from the comics. But once I got into the movie, Phoenix’s performance had me in its psychotic grip.

More than a villain, this is the story of a mentally ill young man, tortured and abused by his own mother, who goes through life feeling worthless while attempting to forge a career as a stand- up comic. The only thing is, he isn’t funny. He’s pitiful.

The film created quite a bit of controversy, but anything new and different these days will do that, however, this Joker truly feels that killing is fun.(And funny)

I could not believe how skinny Phoenix had gotten for the role. In scenes where he is shirtless, he looks positively emaciated. His rib cage sticking out like an exoskeleton. The physical acting as well as his method help to make his performance truly Oscar worthy. Is it possible there could be two Oscar winning Jokers? (Heath Ledger won Best Supporting Actor)

It’s a great performance in an okay movie. Prepare to be disturbed. His laugh will haunt your dreams.

Four and One Half Out of Five Stars

-Michael Buffalo Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment

Street Survivors

Street Survivors: The True Story of the Lynyrd Skynyrd Plane Crash never hit the big screen in my area, but Cleopatra has released a prett...