Friday, November 8, 2019

Terminator: Dark Fate



What an appropriate title! Dark Fate. Let me just say from the outset that it has been literally decades since I felt so let down by a movie. Just let me begin by pointing out the good parts of the film It’s not going to be easy, but I will give it a whirl.

Arnold Schwarzeneggar returns for a relatively minor role and the rehabilitated, married with children terminator now called Carl. The 72-year old sports a short beard and a new attitude. Arnold is fun to watch, even in the quagmire of this hot mess of a movie. Also, the special effects are cool, although we gave seen most of the “liquid metal” stuff as far back as the T2 movie.

In James Cameron’s newest film, Sarah Conner is back (a 63-year old Linda Hamilton) and is teamed up with a girl named Grace (Makenzie Davis)– a part human, part cyborg from the future who is sent back in time to keep the evil Rev-9 terminator (Gabriel Luna), from killing a young Mexican girl named Dani (Natalia Reyes) who somehow alters the future if she lives. Sound familiar? That’s because Dark Fate is exactly like the first two Terminator movies, only altered to conform to our precious politically correct world, where racial diversity reigns supreme and feminism is at an all-time high. The first part of the movie is set in Mexico and everyone is speaking Spanish with English subtitles. Don’t get me started. I HATE subtitles! How can I enjoy the moving picture show if I have to try and read the words quickly before they move on?

I’m all for equality and women’s rights, but this is just too cliché.
For example, this boldly stated dialog:  "You are not the mother of some MAN who saved the future. You ARE the future."  Not to mention the mostly STUPID one liners! Sara using the famous Arnold line, "I'll be back." Later, they have Arnold saying, " I won't be back." Sheesh. I sure as shootin’ hope not!! He starts to put on his famous Terminator sunglasses, looks in mirror and sits them down. He’s a new man. Yawn.

Did I mention they kill off John Conner five minutes into the movie? You remember John, the boy whose future life was so important it was the whole basis of the franchise? Killed off, just like that. Suddenly the first two (excellent) Terminator movies are obsolete I guess.

Somebody in Hollywood needs to learn that if you are going to do a sequel, or several sequels, that’s fine, but they have to be at least as good as the original! This movie should have been terminated. Can someone time travel back a year and tell James Cameron to stop before he starts?

One Half of a Star (I’m being generous)

-Michael Buffalo Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment

Street Survivors

Street Survivors: The True Story of the Lynyrd Skynyrd Plane Crash never hit the big screen in my area, but Cleopatra has released a prett...